Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Sunday Dinner

We had family over this Sunday for Travis and Nikki's birthdays. On the menu:

Chuck Roast
Season with Salt & Pepper, fresh rosemary, lemon zest from one
lemon, and 2 garlic cloves. Put it in a crock pot on top of carrots and onions
and pour 2 cans of beef broth over it. Cook on low for about 8 hours.

Carrots
(placed on the bottom of the roast with onions)

Mashed Potatoes & Gravy

Homemade Crescent Rolls


Eclair Cake

The roast just fell apart, it was really good. Putting a roast in a crock pot is great because the only thing I had to do right before the guests arrive was the potatoes and gravy. The best part of the meal really was the rolls and jam. My friend Lauren gave me this recipe years ago and it's turned into a family favorite.

Lauren's Crescent Rolls:

2 Cups warm Water
2 Packages Quick Rising Yeast
1/4 Cup Oil
1/2 Cup Sugar
2 Teaspoons Salt
1 Egg
5 1/2 Cups Flour

In a large bowl pour warm water over yeast and let sit for about 10 minutes in order to activate the yeast. Add the rest of the ingredients and combine. Let stand for 1-2 hours for the dough to rise. Divide dough in half, roll out in circles and cut into pie shapes. Roll into crescent. Place on lightly greased sheet. Cover. Let rise for 1-2 hours. Bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes, until slightly golden brown. Makes about 2 dozen, depending on the size you make the rolls. I like them big, so I usually only make 16 large rolls.

A great tip I've learned when it comes to cleaning up after serving a large group is to always make sure your dishwasher is empty. That way you can gaurantee you'll have room for all the dirty dishes after dinner. This means making sure you clean up as you cook.

Oh yeah, remember my restaurant recommendation? Well, gift certificates and BBQ sauce make a great gift for guys who like their meat (Travis). And, homemade jam makes for a great parting gift for your guests. My cute niece, Kellie, recommended tying raffia to the container for better presentation.


Enjoy!

1 comment:

Jessie said...

You are making me so hungry! Yum! I am going to try your roast recipe this Sunday. I have a good one too, but I am always looking for another. The rolls look amazing!